According to reports from ESPN about today's meeting between Dell Demps and Chris Paul, the Hornets have moved towards seting a deadline -- December 25th, or the start of the season -- by which they'd need Paul to agree to an extension in New Orleans. Failing that, the team has informed him they'll likely be trading him.
A quick summary of teams that have talked with the Hornets and possible key pieces in return:
- Clippers: Eric Gordon (off limits unless Paul extends in L.A.), Chris Kaman, Al-Farouq Aminu, Minnesota 2012 1st round draft pick
- Magic: Ryan Anderson, Brandon Bass
- Mavericks: Rodrigue Beaubois, Ian Mahinmi
- Hawks: Al Horford? Josh Smith
- Houston: Two 2012 1st round picks
- Warriors: Steph Curry, Monta Ellis, Klay Thompson
- Celtics: Rajon Rondo
- Lakers: Bynum
- Knicks: one of those snowglobe things with a touristy NYC destination inside of it (a $12 value!)
A quick summary of our options if we keep Paul through the 2011-2012 season:
- Re-sign David West, Carl Landry, a midlevel player (this will not be Glen Davis, Jamal Crawford, Jason Richardson, Nick Young, Marcus Thornton, etc) and play out the year
- Sign just David West or Carl Landry, and a midlevel player (this will not be anybody listed in the above parentheses)
- Something else (specify in the comments)
Consider this an open thread to discuss if moving Paul is the right move for the future of the franchise.
If you were GM of the Hornets, what would you do?
Trade Chris Paul before the season starts (and avoid a Melo-situation during the season) (148 votes)
Trade Chris Paul before the trade deadline (20 votes)
Hang on Chris Paul, hope he re-signs in the offseason (36 votes)
204 total votes