In a 69-68 loss tonight, the Bobcats fell despite a terrific performance from Jeff Taylor and some decent games from the young core.
Taylor came out strong and finished with 24 points on 17 shots. The rest of the Bobcats had mixed performances, notably with Cody Zeller having a rather ugly first half. I'll run it down in some assorted bulleted points below.
- Taylor was terrific. Hit his range on the jumper, hit some shots off the dribble, was all over the place on defense, threatened in transition and did well just all over. And he hit a huge three to put the Bobcats up one with seconds remaining. They lost, but dang, did he ball out.
- Zeller's debut gradually improved throughout the game. He had some solid defensive moments, including a great early play staying with a guard on a switch and keeping in front of him, forcing him to the baseline and then blocking the midrange jumper. His offense, well, it wasn't so impressive. He airballed a midrange jump shot early and seemed pretty shook for much of the first half. Zeller was a bit more comfortable in the second half, showing his potential in transition and facing up.
- Bismack Biyombo's hands are in midseason form. And I don't mean that in a good way. He bobbled some rebounds, and fumbled a pass or two in the paint. However he rebounded fairly well. Still, as one commentator said "He could really help his team if he had a jump shot." NO WAY, REALLY, YOU DON'T SAY?
- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist did fairly well. He was who we know him to be. His jump shot hasn't shown much development, if any at all. He'd probably do better if the Bobcats had a feasible point guard to help. He had a great steal with about 16 seconds left
- Henry Sims could work his way into the training camp roster. He has some solid talent and skill and could be a decent third guy in the frontcourt depth chart, and an inexpensive option at that. He might not make it onto the team completely, but he could do well pushing the frontcourt players.
- Those sleeved uniforms still look weird.
- Players are allotted more than 6 fouls, so shout out to Jerome Dyson for using those 7 fouls tonight.