The Charlotte Hornets will open their preseason on Oct. 3 against the Dallas Mavericks, according to their official preseason schedule. The Hornets’ seven-game schedule will also see them take on the Boston Celtics, Minnesota Timberwolves, Chicago Bulls, and Miami Heat.
Here’s the full schedule:
- Monday, Oct. 3 against the Dallas Mavericks in Dallas, TX
- Thursday, Oct. 6 against the Boston Celtics in Greensboro, NC
- Saturday, Oct. 8 against the Boston Celtics in Uncasville, CT
- Monday, Oct. 10 against the Minnesota Timberwolves in Charlotte, NC
- Monday, Oct. 17 against the Chicago Bulls in Chicago, IL
- Thursday, Oct. 20 against the Miami Heat in Charlotte, NC
- Friday, Oct. 21 against the Minnesota Timberwolves in Minneapolis, MN
While the games themselves don’t mean much, this will be our first look at the Hornets without Al Jefferson manning the middle since 2013. We’re still not sure if head coach Steve Clifford will start Cody Zeller, Frank Kaminsky, or Roy Hibbert at center. Chances are all three will see fairly even minutes to give Clifford a large enough sample size to commit to one of them on opening night.
A quick stop in Greensboro on Oct. 6 against the much-improved Celtics should help cement ties between the Hornets and their NBA D-League affiliate, the Greensboro Swarm, and its (potential) fans.
The Hornets will also be one of the first teams to take on the much-improved Celtics, whom acquired center Al Horford over the summer and drafted forward Jaylen Brown with the third pick in this year’s NBA Draft.
A playoff rematch of sorts against the Heat on Oct. 20 could be interesting, as both teams remain largely the same — with exception to the Heat losing Dwyane Wade to the Bulls in free agency. The Hornets will get a look at the Bulls on Oct. 17.
The Hornets’ regular season schedule is expected to be released in the coming days.