- The Hornets will begin the season on the road against the Detroit Pistons on Wednesday, October 18th.
- Their open homer is Friday, October 20th at home against the Atlanta Hawks, meaning Dwight Howard will not have to wait long to play against his former team. This was first reported by the Charlotte Observer’s Rick Bonnell, and confirmed by the schedule release.
- Steph Curry and The Golden State Warriors will make their only appearance at the Spectrum Center on December 6th. This was also first reported by Bonnell.
- They will play 14 sets back-to-back games, two less than the 16 sets they had last season.
- Three games will be broadcast nationally on ESPN; November 15th at home against the Cleveland Cavaliers, December 6th against Golden State, and December 13th on the road against the Houston Rockets.
- Their longest home stretch is five games between January 16th and 27th.
- The longest road trip is a five game stretch between March 13th and 21st.
- A four game west coast road trip will take place right after Christmas from December 29th to January 5th.
- They will end the season with home and away games against the Indiana Pacers on April 8th and 10th.
Three nationally televised games on ESPN is nice, and more than I expected coming off a down year. Maybe Dwight Howard continues to be a draw. Of course the opponents will be heavy favorites, but at least two of the three are at home. And if they find themselves in the playoff race come March, they could find themselves on ESPN a couple of more times depending on the opponent.
The NBA talked about limiting the amount of back-to-back games, but Charlotte’s amount dropped only slightly.
Ending the season with two games against the Pacers could be interesting, especially if they have nothing to play for.
Upon first glance, the schedule looks slightly more manageable than last season’s. That said, the strength of schedule will fluctuate as the season goes on. Teams that look weak now could be the opposite once the season starts, and vice-versa. Until we’re a month or two into the season, we won’t know for sure how strong or light the schedule is.
There’s obviously more to discuss, so have at it in the comments section.