The Charlotte Hornets just wrapped up media availability for each of the four Charlotte Hornets selections in the 2020 NBA Draft. We’ll get to some tidbits from the press conferences in a minute, but first here are the jersey numbers each player will be wearing:
- LaMelo Ball: #2
- Vernon Carey Jr.: #22
- Nick Richards: #14
- Grant Riller: #20
Now, onto the questions and answers. None of this is Earth shattering, as pretty much all of the questions and answers were boilerplate introductory press conference stuff. But let’s get into it anyway.
- I said this on Twitter, but Ball answers questions like a 2K player in MyCareer. His answers are short, succinct, and confident.
- Ball got some Cookout on his first night in Charlotte. He got a chicken sandwich with cajun fries.
- He knows some players on the team already and has started to get to know the other rookies
- He says he doesn’t think we’ll see the infamous 1v1 between Lavar Ball and Michael Jordan will happen, but he says we all know how that would go
Vernon Carey Jr.
- Carey says that hiring a chef and eating better is how he lost the reported 30-40 pounds. Expects it to help his mobility and athleticism.
- He’s been working on his ability to stretch the floor
- Richards has been working out six days a week, often twice a day
- Happy to play with his former Kentucky teammate PJ Washington
- Says he’ll bring athleticism and competitiveness to the roster
- Riller was late. Tsk tsk.
- Playing in Charleston, he’s familiar with the city and the surrounding area
- Says the Hornets are getting a guard that will put pressure on the defense who is also a good human and teammate.
- Says he had already been studying Devonte’ Graham and heard lots of good things about the organization from his former college teammate Joe Chealey